Sunday, December 23, 2007

" Is Your Yoga Nuturing?"

I was asked the question, "do you teach a nurturing yoga or the workout kind?" the other day. This simple thought has not left my mind since.
Here in America, we are so driven to be busy, always moving, always talking, always connected in one way or another...lest we are seen or feel like we are not achieving. Yoga too, as taken on this kind of movement. But, if done with pure intention, cultivated awareness, and some knowledge of yoga philosophy this 'workout' yoga can be nurturing too. I too realize workout yoga that DOES NOT nurture the spirit, and is practiced ONLY for the benefit of a better body is just an exercise and not YOGA.
So, as a teacher and lover of how a yoga practice has made me feel, surely i want to cultivate the sweet centering this practice has to offer. Learning to love the slow and stillness in our asana(pose) movements and creating the bliss of sitting with eyes closed with only our breath to listen to.
Is my teaching a nurturing kind? I can only pray it is, that i will always look to the student and remind myself to impart teaching from the heart not the ego...and maybe along the way we all be nurtured by yoga.

No comments: